Can I put 18 day olds out for a few hours in the sun?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TrixiePA, May 18, 2009.

1. TrixiePA

TrixiePA Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    South Central PA
    Was getting ready to disenfect the brooder bin and thought wonder if I can put the chickies out in the sun on the grass for a while. They are 18 days, I've given freely chick grit b/c I've given treats (lettuce and cheerios) and wanted them to have that in their systems. They would be in a wind blocked (but not wind freee) spot in a large dog crate completely enclosed. They would be safe, I'm just wondering about being out in the 70 degree direct sun.

I guess with Mama chicken they would be out there...... still looking for some support here.

Thanks

2. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Here in sunny South Florida I put my chicks outside during the day right from the start. It's so much nicer to have them pooping in the grass rather than in a box I will have to clean. Your set-up sounds good, just make sure they're protected from hawks, dogs & cats. They'll let you know if they're too uncomfortable, take your cues from the chicks.

3. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    I let mine free range all the time. It is super cute. They like to sun bathe too. Def leave water out since they are cold blooded and all, and just watch them for a bit. Also make sure that the grass is ok (like no weed n feed or pesticides).[​IMG] -> what they will be doing once they get outside

4. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    Yes, I put mine outside when they are just a day or so old. It is so cute watching them peck for bugs. I figured if a hen hatches on her own when she is a free range bird then she brings them out really early, so why couldn't I....They love it and you will have a blast watching them. I always scratch with my fingers and they will come running to see what I found.

5. flip9109

flip9109 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    st paul mn
    cold blooded????????????????????????[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    i wouldn't keep them out too long, if momma was with them they would have a portable heater to get under when ever they wanted. if it's gonna be for more than 10 min or so i would run an extention cord out and put a light in there for them.

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  6. JakRat

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    Quote:HAHA I do that too!!! I tell ya what though trying to get them to eat worms from my hand was hilarious! They didnt get it until I hung it from my finger then they just chases each other around... such joy!

7. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    If you dig up a little bit of sod they'll have a blast dust-bathing in the dirt. It's fun to watch them kicking up the dirt just like the big birds do.

8. JakRat

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    Quote:I thought they were!!!! not in the mean sense but in the temp sense!!!! sigh goes to show you what I dont know about my babies!

BTW your skunk is uber cute!!!

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Just keep an eye on them to make sure they aren't getting chilled - they'll likely huddle and peep loudly if they are - and let them enjoy the sunshine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by