Can I put 2.5-3week old chicks out in the yard for a few hours?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Raskal311, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Raskal311

Raskal311 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2012
    Should/Can I put my 2.5-3 weeks old chicks out in the yard on a warm day? It’s been quite warm the last few days, not sure what direct sunlight is but ambient has been in the low 70s. Most of this week its look like mid to high 70s.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  2. trailchick

trailchick Chillin' With My Peeps

You don't show where you are, but I would place my chicks in a large cage I once kept parrots in. The chicks could have grass to pick at, althoug hI would make shure they had a place to get out of the wind, with sun or shade, depending on whether they were getting too hot or too cool. Here on the high plains of Colorado, weather can change in a moment....
    They may appear frightened at first, as this will be a new experience for them. I have many buckets, so I put one in with them & they would hide in it, until they grew bold enough to venture out. I would also stay with them so you know when to bring them in, or if there are are dangers, such as a neighbor, feral, or your own cat, that may try to get to them. I dont think I would let them out without a boundary, or you will be chasing chicks all around. As they grow, you will figure out how long they can stand to be out.

3. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    We live in western NC. Though it's been warm this winter, even on cold days we start putting the chicks out every few days, for a couple hours, after week one. Only when the sun is out, and if it's too chilly, we'll take the heat lamp out there and fix it to a stake in the ground, but if you are feeding medicated, you really should make an effort to give them outside time to expose them to cocci.

We made a simple day use area with plastic poultry fencing, and we never leave them out there alone. Always out there with them. Just set up a chair, give them food and water, and let them have some fun. They'll be fine!

4. kittycooks

kittycooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes! I agree with the small animal cage when very young, mostly to keep them safe from predators. If they start to huddle up they may be chilled and ready to go in. If your run is built put them in there!

chicks at one week old
    [​IMG]

Chicks at three weeks old
    [​IMG]

5. Raskal311

Raskal311 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2012
    I will start putting them out tomorrow.

thanks for the advice....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by