Can I put 2 white leghorn pullets with my buff orp cockerel

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chickadee-23, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Chickadee-23

Chickadee-23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    South Carolina
    I have 2 white leghorn pullets and a buff orp cockerel hes 2 months younger, they are in seperate coops, but they can see each other i want to put him in their with them cause hes kinda lonely, plus he tries to get to them hasn't been able to yet, would they be ok, or do i need get couple more pullets? I realy dont want to over load with eggs tho, but i guees i can sell if i need to thanks

2. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Two pullets are not enough to satisfy most roosters libido. Since white leghorns never go broody or set there is no way for them to get a reprieve from your roo unless you step in. 15 hens and pullets would be a better ratio. 20 odd years ago I set up a yard of hens at an old mans house with 40 or so clean free range hens, all of them sisters, aunts, daughters, mothers, or nieces to each other. The yard was headed by one 5 year old rooster. There were no other chickens within 5 miles. I waited for 30 days before I saved the first egg. To the best of my memory the hatch was about 90%. Pretty good for an old over the hill rooster.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    How old are the pullets and how old is the cockerel? If he is roughly the same size as the pullets, then yes, you can put them together. There will be some abuse towards him as they reestablish the pecking order - but with them in view already, it shouldn't be too bad. Down the road, you will want to add some more hens, as those 2 will be overmated by him.

4. Chickadee-23

Chickadee-23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    South Carolina
    There all 3 5 1/2 months old, but hes bigger than them since hes a buff orp, im getting 2 buff orp pullets to put with them so there be 4 girls for him, the buff orp pullets are already laying they are 6 months old, but only one of my leghorns is laying the other hasn't yet, but i think they will all be ok, thanks for the advice :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by