can I put 8 wk old and 5 wk old chicks together? help

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by motherhenparks, Jul 23, 2010.

1. motherhenparks

motherhenparks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2010
    I have 4- 8 wk old chicks in coop and 3- 5 wk old chicks in pen next to coop, but I want to know when I can put them together in the coop, the 5 wk olds still come in at night but they are getting old enough to sleep outside, but im scared the bigger ones will peck them to death does anyone know how to do this ????? thank you:caf

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    It really depends on the size of the chicks. IF they are of comparable size, you should be ok. Just supervise the first play times.

I let my chicks range with my adults, and have very few problems. At bed time, the adults go to their roost, the teenagers to theirs, and the chicks hop back in the brooder. Some pecking, but usually not to the point of injury, just getting the little ones in line.

Good stuff.

3. motherhenparks

Jun 1, 2010
    ok I put them together and I think one of the 5 wk old EE is a rooster, I just noticed its comb and it looks redder and there is 3 rows unlike the others that just have one row and that one fights with the bigger ones and now duckies face is bleeding. I took the maybe rooster out but the other 2 seemed to want to be with the rooster probably cause them 3 have been together since birth. what on earth am i going to do with a rooster?[​IMG]

4. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Eat him ? [​IMG]

5. motherhenparks

Jun 1, 2010
    Quote:I want to leave the 2 ,5 wk olds in with the big ones, how long can i leave them together and will anyone hurt duckie with that little spot of owie by his beek, hes pretty big do I take that rooster away from the others so the 2 little ones cant see him or what

6. motherhenparks

Jun 1, 2010
    does that one sound like a rooster

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by