Can I put a chick back under hen?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rocky41102, Oct 7, 2011.

1. rocky41102

rocky41102 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2010
    Tennessee
    I've had some issues with one of my broody hens. I had to move some eggs away from her because she was attacking the chicks born during the day. So now I have one chick that the mama is very attached to and is fine out in the coop, probably about a week old. I have a different mama hen with 5 chicks about 2 weeks old (bantam and regular and mixed). I now have one lone chick that I rescued after the mama tried to kill it. I have this one in a brooder inside for now. My good mama tried to look after it a little bit but they are going outside and everything so it didn't work. I'm not sure if any of the eggs I took out will hatch. We've had one die while hatching and another that is probably not going to make it-don't have an incubator, this was an emergency type thing. I'm worried about the single chick in the brooder. I can't find anyone local with any chicks available-I thought about just getting a few more and brooding indoors but that's not going to work. Can I leave the single chick indoors for a few days or so and then move it out to the good mama? I know there'd be an age difference but the little one would be more ready to get out the door and so on....

2. ozark_chickies

ozark_chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    How old is the chick in the brooder? If it isn't too much younger than the other chicks, I say give it a try. Put it under your hen, at night so they all wake up together, but don't wait to long to try it. Just be ready to take the chick back inside if the hen doesn't take it. Also it might help the chick keep up, if the hen is only going outside, into a small inclosed area.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by