Can I put a collar on my ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by gnmrk2000, Aug 2, 2011.

1. gnmrk2000

gnmrk2000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2011
    North West New Jersey
    We have 4 Pekins who are 8 weeks old. When they were tiny, it was easy to tell them apart. Its not so easy anymore! [​IMG]. I would love to make collars for them using my daughters friendship bracelet kit. Can anyone offer any tips for me as far as the safety of doing this? I would love to polish their little toe nails to help identify them, but I'm sure it wouldn't last in the water haha!

2. Speceider

Speceider Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    I would certainly avoid a soft collar. Even hard plastic neck collars like used on geese don't work well on ducks. Their necks ar etoo short and they will get their lower mandible caught in the collar.

Clint

3. CranberryCreekFarm

CranberryCreekFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Maine
    have you thought about banding their ankles? Either poultry bands or plastic zipties work. Just be sure to check them often to make sure they don't get too tight.

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Leg bands would be a much safer option. You can get different colored zip ties at hardware stores. Just be sure to check them often to make sure they are loose enough, and replace them as their legs grow.

[​IMG]

5. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:agree
    Hello, from Big Bear Ca. [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. gnmrk2000

gnmrk2000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2011
    North West New Jersey
    Thanks all. I will go with the zip ties on the ankle! BTW, am I a bad mama or do others have trouble telling their babies apart?

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:I have 3 solid white muscovies and I used the colored zip ties and check them frenquently to make sure they are still loose.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by