Can I put a two year old silkie with my 9 week old mixed bantam?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Scooter&Suzie, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Scooter&Suzie

Scooter&Suzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    I have a 9 week old Dutch/Old English bantam, but his sister died, [​IMG] so I was looking into finding a girl friend for him. I love silkies, so I started there. I found a white silkie, but she is two years old, and I am afraid that they won't get along, because she is so much older then my bantam, which is a cock by the way. I'm new at this, so please don't think I am stupid or anything. He is very nice, and when I was watching a video about chicks, it showed some, along with their peeping. He pulled up his head and made his strutting looking body, like how he would sometimes do around Suzie, his sis. He was on my lap, by the way. I could tell he was very excited. I know he is lonely, because he hasn't had any other chickens around for the past few weeks. I did just order some chicks, and they will be here before June is over, on the 28th, 29th, or the 30th. I have a different coop for him and his future "wife", while the normal sized chickens will be in a bigger coop.

My over all question, is will my 9 week old Dutch/Old English bantam get along with a 2 year old white silkie?

Thanks from both me and Scooter, my lonely rooster. [​IMG]

p.s. If he can't be with the 2 year old silkie, what does the silkies age need to be? Under 1/2 year???

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  2. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    he will do just fine with her.

When you first introduce them do so after dark when they are both sleepy. When they wake up in the morning they will begin working out the pecking order.

Keep in mind that young roosters can be quite rough on there hens. He should grow out of it - but keep an eye on her so she doesn't get hurt.

3. Scooter&Suzie

Jun 23, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Alright, I'll go out first thing in the morning, to see how it is coming along. If I notice anything strange, I'll make sure to ask you guys, on a new thread though. What does everyone think? It makes sense to put them together at night. I hope it all works!

4. Scooter&Suzie

Jun 23, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Word perfectly! They aren't even peeking at eachother... yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by