Can I put ALL of these in the incubator together??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChickyBangBang, Sep 21, 2012.

1. ChickyBangBang

ChickyBangBang Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    I ordered two separate orders of eggs from two separate breeders. However, they will both be collected and shipped on the same day and therefore will (hopefully) arrive on the same day.

They are as follows:

Breeder 1
    Frizzle Silkie
    Frizzle Cochin
    Frizzle Wyandotte
    Frizzle Polish
    Frizzle Sultan

Breeder 2
    A mixture of white and blue silkies

My question is....is it safe to put all those eggs together in the incubator after i let them 'sit out' for 24 hours? In other words, do any of those breeds mentioned have a longer incubation or a shorter incubation time than the normal "21 days"?

Is it safe to have them all in the same brooder or will they fight since they're not similar "familial" chicks? ugh...so much to learn.

Thank you

2. cmfarm

cmfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    Are the first standard or bantam sized? I find that when hatching bantam chicks (although I have only really hatched bamtan silkies) is that the tend to have a harder time being raised with larger chicks. Depending on their size, sometimes they will just end up getting smushed (especaily the smaller ones, larger ones tend to do better). I think you should be just fine putting them all together in the incubator though.

3. ChickyBangBang

ChickyBangBang Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    Thank you so very much for your reply, CmFarm, it is greatly appreciated.

From what I'm reading out of your post, it is okay for me to put all the eggs in the incubator together, but it might NOT be such a good idea to put them in the brooder together, is this correct? Will they do okay in the coop and tractor together once all have matured? Tractor still sounds so weird to me...makes it seem like I'm running them over with a tractor (not fond of the name for it, lol).

thank you for your information and advice, I will definitely listen to it and keep them separated until they've grown a bit, maybe introducing them here and there and see how they do. =)

4. petlover1

petlover1 New Egg

Sep 21, 2012
    From my experience there should be no problem with the mix of eggs. Ive had mixed incubated eggs from day 1 and the chics after they hatched always became attached to each other, like they were siblings. Just make sure they are all placed in the incubator at the same time. Hope you good sucess with everything

5. petlover1

petlover1 New Egg

Sep 21, 2012
    If the chics hatched together , they can also grow together without any problems,. Unless you attempt to seperate at any point for a brief while and then return them back ;the tide between them would have been broken and pecking order could easily break out among them.Hope this was helpful

6. cmfarm

cmfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    Yes, I would suggest you can hatch them together but not to brood them together. This is just from my experince, I have lost some silkies due to this. Bantams just tend to be more fragile. In a few weeks they should be fine to put back together again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by