Can I put antibiotic in water for 1 week olds?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BaGAWK!!, Mar 21, 2012.

1. BaGAWK!!

BaGAWK!! Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    Philadelphia, TN
    I have a mixed batch of ages in a brooder outside w/ a heat lamp. They are 3 wks old and 1 wk old. They have been presenting w/a respiratory infection starting yesterday. Can I add antibiotic (oxytetracycline and gallimycin) to their quart waterer? I worry the 1 wk olds are too young for it.
    (P.S. I don't want to start a heated debate whether to use antibiotics at all on chickens, I know some people don't under any circumstance and will cull the sick, but these are pets and it's getting uncharacteristically hot during the day for March here - they aren't needing the heat lamp during the day. I had 1 that had difficulty breathing yesterday and just want make them comfortable).
    Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  2. MustLoveHens

MustLoveHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Albion, Wisconsin
    I would do one or the other but not both antibiotics. Run the antibiotic through for the full treatment recommended by the manufacturer. If you are unable to knock out the respiratory infection with the first one you tried, then you have the other medication to fall back on. If you use both and are unsuccessful in treatment, then you have a problem because the "bug" has had a chance to develop a tolerance to the medications.
    As far as age, I would treat them all and have no qualms in doing so.
    You might also want to get a bottle of a product called VetRx. It is a very old school herbal remedy from 1894. It is great for respiratory problems as it opens up the airways so the little peeps can breathe more comfortably. I put a drop in each nostril and one down their throat Making sure to get it on top of their little tongues. If they are really hacking I also spread some on their little chests.
    Some farm stores carry it or you can order it online. Jeffers Pet carries it. If you find it for one type of animal like say a rabbit, it is perfectly fine for chickens. It's all the same formula but they put it in different packaging for each animal.
    HTH and good luck!

3. BaGAWK!!

BaGAWK!! Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    Philadelphia, TN
    Thank you so much for your advise! It makes sense not to muddle it up w/more than 1 antibiotic. I chose oxytet, I'm using a little over 1/8th tsp per quart waterer. Is this the correct amt?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by