1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

can I put baby ducks in brooder with 8 day old chicks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by carriehelene, Apr 8, 2009.

1. carriehelene

carriehelene Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2009
    Capital Region NY
    My TSC has baby ducks in, if I pick some up, can I put them in the same brooder as my 8 day old chicks I got from Meyers?

Another question, do they need a seperate coop and run from the chickens when they get bigger?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  2. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

deleted

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  3. Brickman House

Brickman House Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    I know some people successfully brood chicks and ducks together, but I don't. My ducklings have always made a hellatious mess, and my chicks have always been much neater. I brood my ducklings in my hall bathroom tub, and my chicks in Rubbermaid tub brooders.

I also house them separately when they get older, but honestly, I have a pair of year old Pekins temporarily housed with the chickens (while the new and improved duck house is being built) and the mess is not as bad as I thought it would be. It might be because it's only two ducks and 12 chickens in an amply sized coop, or it might be just these two ducks aren't as messy at night as ducks usually are. I don't know.

So while a month ago I would have said I'd never house grown chickens and ducks together, I think in certain circumstances it can work-- you never know.

4. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    We used to keep about 50 chickens and 100 muscovy ducks in a large hen house built for 250. The chickens claimed one end of the house and the ducks the other We did not keep either roosters nor drakes in this in this house. They had their own seperate breeding pens so we could control the reproduction. When we let the ladies out in the morning the chicken flock went one way and the ducks headed for the pool. Very little trouble unless one got confused and headed for the wrong end of the house...

5. carriehelene

carriehelene Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2009
    Capital Region NY
    well, while this is good to know for the future, it turned out to be a moot question, they were all sold out of ducks! [​IMG] What I think I might do is order ducks online to be delivered in about 5-6 weeks, then they can have the brooder to themselves, cuz the chickens will be out in their coop then. Thanks for the answers everyone, really appreciate it.

6. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

deleted

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  7. Jazzymond573

Jazzymond573 Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2008
    WI
    Quote:Gosh, I sure hope that dosent happen to me, Id be balling my eyes out![​IMG]

8. obsessed

obsessed Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Slidell, LA
    I put my ducks in with two week old chick and it was disgusting. All the water and stuff no good.

9. tonini3059

tonini3059 [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Luv

Nov 6, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    i have never had a problem brooding them together, I never lost a chick during it either.
    Sorry about them being sold out I went the first day they got them in and got mine. I put them with my 3 day old polish and all is well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by