Can I put chicks into old coop?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by huntersmoon, Apr 26, 2008.

1. huntersmoon

huntersmoon Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2008
    Hi, this is my first post. We moved into a place 4 months ago that had a chicken coop & run on it. The run is about 16x16 and the house looks weatherworn but okay. I plan to remodel/rebuild the coop, but wondered if I can move my chicks into it in the meantime (5 week old Barred Plymouth Rocks). There have been no chickens in there for at least 6 months. I cleaned out the old hay, dust, droppings today - there was a lot of dust! I'm not sure to what extent I need to clean it out - is a good sweeping okay? I assume any germs from the old chickens are gone by now?

The sellers' chickens all were eaten by predators, and the run isn't predator proof but the house seems good. It is elevated, has a portcullis-style heavy door for the chickens and a sturdy door for adults. It's got hardward cloth for a couple of windows and ventilation. Inside are 4 nest boxes, a couple of good roosts, a wooden feeder bin, and some blocks to put a waterer on. The floor is plywood.

Thanks
    Shannon

2. RoostersCrow

RoostersCrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Probably OK... but...

If you can, and assuming it will dry OK (set up some box fans) I would hose it out too. Then spray it down with a garden sprayer using a bleach solution.

3. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    yes you can put your chicks in that henhouse.

4. huntersmoon

Apr 26, 2008
    Thanks to both of you - wynedot55 are you saying you think it's safe to put them in without spraying it down with bleach water?

Thanks
    Shannon

5. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    I'm sure they will be fine, but I personally kept my chicks in till they were about 6-7 wks. old. Just make sure things are clean, and dust is settled. Otherwise it should be fine if you've changed all the bedding and such.

6. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I would also give it a better cleaning with bleach or some such cleaner. Just make sure you get all the cleaner cleaned up!

If the old chickens had any "issues" like bugs or sickness those germs could still be in that old coop. When I looked at an older coop here it hadn't been used for several years and chicken people told me that it could still 'infect' my chickens. Some germs and things can lay dormant for years and in the right conditions spring back to life so to speak.

If it was me I wouldn't take any chances with my chickens.

I think the coop sounds wonderful.

7. huntersmoon

Apr 26, 2008
    Okay - I will spray down the coop.

They have been in the run daily for a couple of weeks - I hope that is okay. It is about 16x16 and is plain ground on the inside. We weeded and generally raked it out and didn't notice any old droppings. I believe the chickens that were here before were free range for the most part.

Shannon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by