Can I put ducks and chicks together in the yard????

cjeanean

Can't Decide
11 Years
Mar 5, 2008
Missouri
I've got 5-6 wk old chicks, and since today is very warm I've got the chicks out in their run. The ducks are about the same age, and are miserable (it's their own fault, they get their water EVERYWHERE!) and I'm wondering if I can put them in the run with the chicks for a few hours. (I don't have the duck pen up yet.) Anyone????? Thanks!!!!

But, of course you can. They will just waddle and bok all the day long. I've seen several pics on here with chicks and ducks in the yard together.

Remember birds of a feather flock together. Oh, well even different birds flock together too.
jumpy.gif

I don't have to worry about my chicks getting sick or anything????? That's all I'm worried about, my chicks are pretty nice so I don't think they'll gang up on my ducks or anything, but I really don't want my chicks to get sick. Thanks!

I'm also worried about the ducks eating the chick food....should I close off the coop (where the food is) and just lock them all in the yard???? Or will the ducks probably not go into the coop???

I wouldn't think that they would. My neighbor has ducks and there always in our yard so eventually they will be around our chickens, but years ago I had rabbits, ducks and chickens all at the same time and they all played together like friends. They don't know the diiference between them, (unless you have a mirror in the yard)lol.

Don't worry, they'll be O.K. Just give them the love they deserve and do the dusting thing and you'll be fine.

I'm sure others will have more advice than this. Hope this helps calm the nerves.

I am not advocate of housing different fowl together, especially not waterfowl and chickens. Ducks are super messy as you will soon find out and chickens aren't crazy about things being wet. There is also the risk of disease and illness. I do not like fowl mixed together in one coop. They don't live that way in natural settings. I know there are people who do it but it really is not the best of conditions for either.

I don't want to mix them in the same coop, I just wanted to let the both of them out today, and the only pen I have is the chick pen. The ducks don't have all their feathers yet, so they can't stay outside at night. Today was really warm so I wanted to let them both out. When it's time for the ducks to go out they're gonna have their own pen.

Back
Top Bottom