Can I put egg cartons in incubator?

Y master

Chirping
Feb 5, 2018
Could I use the bottoms of egg cartons to put eggs in in the incubator or will it block the heat and humidity? Can I keep the eggs upright and will it effect the egg and chick if I turn it that way and if I keep it upright?

Thanks .

You certainly can use cartons during incubation and for hatch if you wish. I like to cut them down so the sides are shallow and I punch a hole in the bottom of them.

If using them for incubation you can prop one side of the carton up and when you next turn put that side down and prop the other side up. Having them up right will not affect them and how they develop. Just make sure you have the fat end of the egg upwards. I set all my eggs upright in my incubator and have never had a problem. Using cartons is the same principle.
8C3E9649-598B-4422-B324-A1A6A864352D.jpeg

If I’m hatching shipped eggs or doing a small hatch I will use cartons to hatch in. For me it makes the incubator that bit easier to clean. You can monitor eggs progress more easily rather than them getting knocked about by hatched chicks. Downside is that you can’t see if you have a malpositioned Chick pipped at the wrong end plus the cartons do take up a lot of room. That’s why if I have full hatch I will just place the eggs on their sides for hatch.
67692020-52CC-4423-96E6-849F25A19343.jpeg

Personally I like both ways but these are your eggs and you need to do what you feel is best.

Good luck with your hatching.

You certainly can use cartons during incubation and for hatch if you wish. I like to cut them down so the sides are shallow and I punch a hole in the bottom of them.

If using them for incubation you can prop one side of the carton up and when you next turn put that side down and prop the other side up. Having them up right will not affect them and how they develop. Just make sure you have the fat end of the egg upwards. I set all my eggs upright in my incubator and have never had a problem. Using cartons is the same principle.
View attachment 1286572

If I’m hatching shipped eggs or doing a small hatch I will use cartons to hatch in. For me it makes the incubator that bit easier to clean. You can monitor eggs progress more easily rather than them getting knocked about by hatched chicks. Downside is that you can’t see if you have a malpositioned Chick pipped at the wrong end plus the cartons do take up a lot of room. That’s why if I have full hatch I will just place the eggs on their sides for hatch.
View attachment 1286578

Personally I like both ways but these are your eggs and you need to do what you feel is best.

Good luck with your hatching.
:goodpost:....:frow

yeah, I was sad. All that time of being super careful with those crazy air cells just to lose them to cartons. :hitThe 2 that hatched were ones that I moved to their sides when I just happened to check them.
Did you place them pointy end down or up?...Just wondering what could of happened?..:idunno

Back
Top Bottom