1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can I put eggs in my compost ?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by I*Eat*Chickens*Yum, Jul 25, 2008.

1. I*Eat*Chickens*Yum

I*Eat*Chickens*Yum Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a compost pile going. I, sadly enough, have about six eggs that never got eaten and now they have gone bad.

I know that I can put the egg shells in the compost but does anyone know if it is alright to put the whole egg in the compost ? Thanks !

[​IMG]

2. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    The shells yes, the guts no.

3. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    just remember no fats or proteins in compost, shells are great.

4. I*Eat*Chickens*Yum

I*Eat*Chickens*Yum Chillin' With My Peeps

ahhh...I thought I read about protein. Thank you both for replying !

5. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Quote:What's the deal with the protein?

I don’t know that much about compost but as far as I was aware if it rots....its compost-able. I have a neighbor (thank God he’s not a close neighbor) who picks up road kill and throws into his compost. He’s got a beautiful garden but I’m very glad I don’t have to live down wind of his compost pile.

6. DrakeMaiden

DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    You don't want to add MEAT or ANIMAL PRODUCTS because it will attract rodents/scavangers. This has nothing to do with protein. Vegetable matter contains protein.

7. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    best i can find its because it takes longer to decompose, it attracts rodents and pests, it stinks. Most articles i have read refer to it as protein because people generally think of meats, eggs, etc.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2008
  8. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Quote:OK that explains a lot...thanks.

The neighbor has his compost in this really big barrel looking thing that turns. I don't think anything could get into it unless it knew how to open the locks.

9. 5_chickz

5_chickz Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2008
    I have a compost and you put the shells in but not the insides:D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by