can I put eggs under a broody for first half??? Best way to incubate?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Fancie, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Fancie

Fancie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Illinois
    okay here is the deal... I have only space for one incubator. I can use either a still air or a fan. but again only have room for one! I also have one broody hen. Since I get 1 egg a day from another hen and can only hold the eggs for what 14 days?? and it takes 21 days for eggs to hatch... I will have a weeks worth of eggs I can't do anything with... (but of course eat but I don't really want to) Would it be okay if I put some eggs under the broody for half of the incubating cycle and then replace them with new eggs....

also can you hatch under a fan?? I think I read that it's best under a still air?? how to you switch with out really messing things up too bad.

2. chicklady63

chicklady63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2009
    You can put eggs under a broody and then take them. You can also put more under her then, but I wouldn't do it for more than 3, maybe 4, weeks because she will not eat, drink, or "do her business" like she will when she is not broody, and her health could suffer. I would reward her with at least one chick if possible. I have had hens continue to set on absolutely nothing until I did. They can get very thin while brooding.
    Also, personally I wouldn't hold eggs very much past 5-7 days. They may be fine, but usually lose viability after a longer period of time. I did try an experiment with some of my own eggs once to see how long they could go and still hatch. I held them for about a month and they did hatch successfully, but I would never try that with expensive bought eggs that were shipped. I made certain to keep them cool & turn them regularly.
    I used an incubator with a fan and my hatch rate is usually very successful. I do cover my incubator though to better insulate it & just make certain the vents are not covered. The fan doesn't run as often this way & my humidity & temperauture holds better & is more stable. Just some things I have learned - hope it helps...
    Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by