Can I put eggs under a broody hen and will they hatch

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by eggcited2, Apr 18, 2011.

1. eggcited2

eggcited2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Illinois
    I have a partridge rock hen that is broody.

I was wondering if I ordered fertilized eggs (of the breeds I want to add to my chickens) and put them under her, would she accept them and hatch them?

At this time, we fight with her to move her off what eggs she is setting on but she sets on any new eggs every day. She doesn't care what kinds. I've gotten three different kinds of eggs out from under her.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Yes, she will accept any eggs that you give her. In order to optimize your chances for a successful hatch, you will have to prevent other hens from laying in the nest. The broody should be isolated in some fashion. Good luck.

3. eggcited2

eggcited2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Illinois
    A small dog house and fence (5 foot by 7 foot by 4 foot tall) is for sale in craigslist. Was thinking of getting that, put nest material in dog house (never used, the ad said) and having the pen around her. Food and water in there. Tarp over the area, to keep out other birds, etc.

Oh, was wondering how many eggs are ok to put under her?

4. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    If she is broody, any egg will usually do. Regular sized hens can hatch a suprisingly large amount of eggs, so the more that will fit, the better chance of a successful hatch. My silkie has 3 regular sized eggs and one banty and that's about all she will fit. She pushes out any eggs that she can't set on comfortably.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by