Can I put it in the incubator?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by daisylaines, Dec 21, 2013.

1. daisylaines

daisylaines Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2013
    I am wondering - this egg I found today in the coop (our VERY first one!!) may or may not be fertilized, can I/should I incubate it?
    Side note it may have been in the cold for an hour or more before I found it.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Generally pullet eggs are not recommended for incubation because of their small size. One hour chilling should not be a problem. If you want to incubate, why not wait until you have collected several eggs?

1 person likes this.
  3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    X2 on what Sourland said.

Also, it takes about 2 weeks of roosters mating with hens for their eggs to be considered "fertilized" and if this is your very first egg, your pullets have probably not been accepting of the roo's long enough yet. Wait until your girls have their egg laying machines in gear, the roo's have been mating with them a few weeks, and like Sourland said, you have more eggs to incubate. Not every egg will hatch, and no sense in waiting 21 days on one egg that may not hatch.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  4. daisylaines

daisylaines Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2013
    Thanks for the advice! This is my first go as a chicken owner - I love them to bits and have had them since August, they have been mating for a bit now - but no eggs until today (so exciting!) there is so much to learn. Guess I can go make a sandwich with today's prize? [​IMG]

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Nothing better than eating that first egg! I was so excited when I got my first egg and the first thing I did with it, besides take a picture of it, LOL, was crack it open and fry it!!! THE best egg I have EVER had!

Enjoy your new chicken adventures!!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by