Can I put keets under a mama chicken?

ScoobyRoo

Crowing
13 Years
Aug 21, 2008
Land of OZ
I have a hen (chicken) that will hatch out 4 eggs next week. I want to put some keets under her when the chicks hatch. Can this be done? Assuming all four hatch how many keets could I add to her chicks? I'm trying to avoid having a brooder if Mama hen will take care of them for me.

People often use hens to hatch and raise keets. If the hen is a good broody it should work to add them like that but there are some hens that will kill chicks or keets and sometimes they'll even kill the ones they hatch so if this hen has never raised chicks before you'll have to decide if you want to risk it. I'm not sure what the maximum would be. Probably about the same number keets as chicks that hen could raise.

Quote:
Thanks for responding. This is my hen's first time setting. She has been devoted this whole time too. I figured I might be taking a risk if I add the keets. Her disposition is a calm one. I cant imagine her hurting the babies. But looks can be deceiving , cant they ? I have never seen how small keets are. Are they little like banties? I thought I would get 6-8 depending on what colors they have available. I would like the ones with the spots.

Quote:
That is my plan. I know her hatch date and I'm to call the hatchery that day to see if they have any in. I will go and get them myself. I may be one or two days off. As soon as they feather out, I plan to seperate the chicks form the keets. I had a brooder in the house for 6 months and I'm trying to avoid that if I have settin hens. Call me lazy.
roll.png

I have let a hen hatch & raise keets. I tried adding keets to the brood of chicks and the hen killed the keets. (this was the same hen who hatched keets and raised them fine) I would not add them with the chicks.

Back
Top Bottom