Can I put liquid permethrin inside of hen's ear (like ear drops)

Jenbirdee

Expecting Miracles
Premium Feather Member
Aug 9, 2020
Maryland
Or should I just put it carefully around her ears? and not get in her eyes of course...This would be to treat For ear/eye lice. Ive been reading articles about it but still have this question about dripping some inside of her ears. I used dust 4 times already over the past month, but she is still shaking her head a lot and sometimes squints her eyes. I had already posted pictures in earlier threads and permethrin was suggested to try to liquid now that weather is warming up.

It could be a fungal, or yeast, or bacterial infection. Does she appear to be having any balance issues ... walking off-kilter?

Does her interaction with others seem to be normal, her eating normal as far as you can tell?

Last edited:
It could be a fungal, or yeast, or bacterial infection. Does she appear to be having any balance issues ... walking off-kilter?

Does her interaction with others seem to be normal, her eating normal as far as you can tell?
Her balance her eating and her interaction all are fine. Here are two pictures, the one that looks terrible is before I started using permethrin dust , the one that looks better is after 3 treatments of dust . Her eyes were so still so irritated though even after all the dusting s (and I didn’t dust in her eyes it just near them carefully) so I did 4 days of colloidal silver in her eyes and they look better, but she still shakes her head a lot

Attachments

• 4CE65054-63F3-4E6D-B616-A2E7C334D1F2.jpeg
    4CE65054-63F3-4E6D-B616-A2E7C334D1F2.jpeg
    117 KB · Views: 1
  • 2B8CF456-EC24-419C-A49D-3AEEF0D5CE4D.jpeg
    2B8CF456-EC24-419C-A49D-3AEEF0D5CE4D.jpeg
    289.6 KB · Views: 1
Get some cotton wool buds. Dip one end in the permethrin liquid and dab around the eyes and ears.
I'm not sure if permethrin inside the ear is a good idea.

Get some cotton wool buds. Dip one end in the permethrin liquid and dab around the eyes and ears.
I'm not sure if permethrin inside the ear is a good idea.
Ok thanks. That’s what I wanted to know. I’m assuming you are speaking of what we call Q tips over here. I will do that.

Ok thanks. That’s what I wanted to know. I’m assuming you are speaking of what we call Q tips over here. I will do that.
Be careful with Q-tips. DO NOT go deep into the ear canal. You would be better off using Neosporin. Gently squeeze the ointment into the ear canal until filled. It wont take much at all. The Neosporin will smother lice/mites including any hatching eggs, and there will be no need to treat the ears again.

I used "miticide" drops "on" the ear- like just over it with 1-2 drops and rubbed into the feathers around it and may have been a coincidental miracle but oodles of nasty crust just went away- and she seemed MUCH happier- had NO idea if it was even going to go Into her hear but assumed it would at least get some in a little but at least...

Sorry but am clueless about chicken ears!!- so I'm clicking away on many posts re: them and trying to look up anatomy, etc. They're still a mystery to me but agree with above- like docs say for us- 'never put anything bigger than your finger in your ear!" What misery they can cause though, eh?! Thanks for info! Would never have even thought about Neosporin! Thanks!! 🥰

Back
Top Bottom