can i put mixed aged chicks (week apart) in the same brooder?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by appleblossom, Jul 14, 2008.

1. appleblossom

appleblossom New Egg

Jul 14, 2008
    i ordered chicks from mcmurrays last week and lost a few in shipping due to the fact the post office put them in air conditioning. the hatchery replaced the lost chicks and then some. the new chicks arrived today, all healthy! so do i need to keep two brooders? the chicks are 6 days apart. we live off grid and run on solar, so i'd like to avoid having two heat lamps on if possible, they take alot of energy. maybe keep them seperate for a few days? what do you guys think? thankl for your help!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
  2. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Good morning and Welcome to BYC!!!

I would certainly put them together and keep a watchful eye on them to make sure everybody plays nice.

Be sure to have a Plan B if you get serious aggressive issues and feather pecking starts on anybody.

They are close enough in age there shouldn't be a problem. I added two a week after my first ones last year and never had any issues.

But, sometimes you get a chick that just wants to bully someone!

3. appleblossom

appleblossom New Egg

Jul 14, 2008
    thanks so much!

i have 18 downstairs in the brooder pen, then the new 12 upstarirs for now, they just arrived an hour ago.

i thin ki will give them a few hours to destress fromt he trip, and then combine them.

i do have two japanese bantams, and the rest full size chickens ( wyandottes, orpingtons,delawares, rose combs,pearl leghorns,araucanas and buttercups)... can the little bantams go in the brooders with the others or will they get picke don for being smaller?

i appreciate the advice!
    (excuse my typos and lowercase letters...one hand typing with a 6 week old babe in my arms, lol!)

4. ninjapoodles

ninjapoodles Sees What You Did There

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    We had two orders from MMH, a week apart, and did exactly that--combined the new chicks with the week-olds. We made sure the new ones drank water and put them right in the brooder with the week-olds. They did just fine. As a matter of fact, as of yesterday we've already put the older chicks (now two weeks) outside with the "big kids." They're doing great, pecking around just like grownups.

5. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Bantams would be my biggest concern. They can be walked all over and hurt even if nobody pecks at them. I would still put them all together (this is all dependent on you having a very large brooder so they have tons of extra space to get away from each other) and keep that extremely close eye on them all for a few days.

I'm guessing you are aware that you should not have any corners in the brooder? Chicks will pile on top of each other and suffocate the ones on the bottom. I used cardboard formed and taped into rounded corners in my boxes.

6. appleblossom

appleblossom New Egg

Jul 14, 2008
    nope, no corner sin teh downstairs brooder..it is a circle.

upstairs i have the new ones in a rubbermade box/bin with chicken wire over the top, but i only plan on leaving them in it for a few hours then combining them. i have to go out and take my kids to the pediatrician for a check up, and i will be gone for about two hours, so i wanted to make sure no one got picked on while i was gone.
    here is a picture of the downstairs brooder set up a few days ago. i've since moved some of the wood to let the chicks roam more now that are a few days older and able to hop over it anyway:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    It is much easier to put them together as little chicks. They should be fine. I am mixing some new hatchlings myself today with a batch I hatched 10 days before. [​IMG]

8. georgiegirl

georgiegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    Rockdale TX
    I have asked this twice before and still no answer. Maybe someone will see this one.
    I have 15 6 week old frizzles, 12 4 week old silkies in with 9 4 week old milles & 1 week old cornish x for the freezer.
    I also have 32 americanas, wy-dotts, & australorps all layers in another pen.
    Can I put any of them together in the same pen? Or is there too much difference in age and size?

9. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    It is best to keep the little ones separate fom the big chickens. Silkies can be picked on mercilessly and injured. Their quiet demeanor makes them vulnerable.

10. georgiegirl

georgiegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    Rockdale TX
    That was my excuse to build them their own pen! But right now I have them separate from the frizzles and cornish. Can they all be together in a big run?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by