Can I put my bantams in w/ my rooster "chick" (whom is older)

hd_darcy

Songster
11 Years
Apr 28, 2010
Wisconsin
I have three bantams that were born about Easter time, and 1 LF who was born about the same time together. The LF is considerably larger, but they get along just fine. He's a rooster, the three bantams are hens. Anyway, I also have three silkies whom are about 2 1/2 weeks younger than them. The silkies are getting big, but not as big as the bantams. I would like to put them together here very soon. Would this be okay? The coop is done as of tomorrow, and I'm wondering if now would be a good time to put them together since it will be new ground for all of them???

Thanks in advance!

Darcy

Putting them all together in your newly finished coop is a good idea. You are right, it's new ground for all of them:) You shouldn't have much of a problem. Just keep an eye on them and see how it goes. You'll know pretty quickly. I've added bantam chicks to an existing coop full of older chicks (standards) with only a minimum of difficulty. I placed the younger crew in a partitioned area within the coop for a couple of weeks for everyone to see each other and interact. There was some initial pecking order trials that occurred, but it wasn't bad at all. They all get along great now. I would much have preferred to have moved them all outside together at the same time like you're doing:)

Excellent, I will do that then! Is night or day a better time to integrate them? I'm thinking night because they should be too sleepy to care, however I can't keep an eye on them that way? They have seen one another as we let them outside to free range here and there. They don't pay much attention to one another....

Thanks!

If you do it at bedtime, they'll be no need to watch them. They'll be too busy sleeping:) I've always done it during the day, because I'm an anxious chicken mama:)

You make a point! Well, we'll do it some time after school. My son is sooo excited about it (nearly as much as I am!)
smile.png
Then we'll be able to watch them and make sure all is okay. I think we'll leave a light on for them tonight as well. My poor silkies won't know what to think!

Darcy

Back
Top Bottom