Can I put my chicks along with my Cock??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Bency, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Bency

Bency Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2010
    Salem
    Hi all!!!

I am expecting chicks soon... As I am preparing for this, I want to know if it is safe for the chicks to be put along with my cock itself. Can I leave them in the coop as my hen and cock is??

thanx in advance...

Ben

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Ben,

Welcome to BYC.

You don't want to put chicks with adult birds until they have reached at least 16 weeks of age.

Good luck.

M

3. Bency

Bency Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2010
    Salem
    thanq M...

I'm newbie to growing chickens.. so got some doubts... will the cock hurt the chicks, if i leave them in the same coop?? i'm askin this, because i jus hav one coop right now...

Ben

4. BorderKelpie

BorderKelpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    THe only time I tried it, the roo took over the care of the chicks, which was good since the hens wanted popcorn chicken snacks. lol
    I would section off a portion of your coop if that is your only alternative. A separate pen altogether is your safest bet.
    Best wishes!

5. Bency

Bency Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2010
    Salem
    thanq.. thats indead a gud idea... i'll think of it..

6. CountryPantry

CountryPantry Fat Matt's Poultry Farm

Feb 23, 2009
    Hayesville, NC
    Ben

When you first get your chicks, you need to keep them in a brooder box/rubbermaid tote with a light, food and water. This is very important as they need the heat to grow. You can't put chicks under the age of 14/16 weeks old outside in a coop.

7. Prettiest Frog

Prettiest Frog Cooped Up

Dec 21, 2009
    Quote:I put mine in the coop, though a different coop than my full grown birds, at 6 weeks and they are doing great. They've got a heat lamp warmed area they can get to if they get too cold, but more and more they are sleeping in the roosts instead of by the lamp. It's been under -20 since I put them out there, and they stay fairly toasty in the coop. So it depends on your setup.

8. Bency

Bency Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2010
    Salem
    thanq...

what do u mean by brooder box/rubbermaid tote?? now, my hen is booding over her eggs in a box kinda thing made of bamboo.. is it sufficient??

as i live in India, its quiet hot during the day, say 34 degree Celcius.. night is slightly cold, about 27 degrees.. to this, i cover the coop with a thick cloth to protect them from wind and the cold breeze... should i still provide them with light?? if i should, what light??

Ben

9. Bency

Bency Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2010
    Salem
    one more thing... should i seperate the chicks from their mom or seperate them with their mom??

10. Prettiest Frog

Prettiest Frog Cooped Up

Dec 21, 2009
    With if she is a good mommy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by