Can I put roosts above lay boxes?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Shaela, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Shaela

Shaela Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2015
    Utah
    If my lay boxes are completely covered to protect them from droppings, can I put roosts above them?

2. Bradfordj

Bradfordj Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2015
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    I don't see why not! Most people don't because of the mess the birds will make when they are roosting at night. If you are prepared to clean up the droppings that will fall on top of the boxes then its your call. There really isn't a right or wrong answer to things like that. Its what works for you, your birds, and the chores you are willing to complete.

1 person likes this.
  3. Shaela

Shaela Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2015
    Utah
    Great, thank you! I am planning a pull-out tray below them for easy cleaning. :)

4. ajoyna1

ajoyna1 New Egg

Apr 2, 2015
    clean up the droppings that will fall on top of the boxes then its your call. There really isn't a right or wrong answer to things like that. Its what works for you, your birds, and the chores you are willing to complete....??

pass4sure ccie prerequisites

5. ajoyna1

ajoyna1 New Egg

Apr 2, 2015
    will fall on top of the boxes then its your call. There really isn't a right or wrong answer to things like that. Its what works for you, your birds, and the chores you are willing to complete.

watson

6. Kikiriki

Kikiriki Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    Central Florida
    The poo will likely draw flies unless you clean it every morning. Those flies will then be on your hens and eggs. If there is any other way to configure, I would do that instead.

7. dheltzel

dheltzel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Nov 30, 2013
    Pottstown, PA
    I do this all the time because I use "poop boards" at 4 ft high, then the roosts above that. The area below the poop boards is well protected from falling droppings, so it works great for nestboxes, as well as food and water.

8. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    As long as the poop is not going into the nests, it’s a good way to utilize space. You have a droppings board so that will work fine. My brooder is built in under my roosts with the top acting as a droppings board.

We all develop our own routines as to how often and where we clean. With my set-up, climate, and number of chickens (which affects poop load) I clean less than once a week, sometimes much less, and don’t draw flies. Some people clean every day. You’ll need to develop your own routine for how often you clean.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by