Can i put runners with khaki?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by adorable, Dec 20, 2010.

1. adorable

adorable Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    Can i put adult runners with adult khaki campbells in the same pens together?

2. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

I dont see why not. I had my Khakis in with Runners, Pekin and Swede mix ducks. My Khakis slept with my Runners.

3. adorable

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    Thanks. Just i am new to ducks. I wasnt sure if the males fight like the rooster do. So ducks are easier going that way then chickens?

4. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh I dont know about drakes. My Runners were just babies then, about 10 to 16 weeks when I put the Khakis in with them. All the ducks on that side of the duck house were females. My 2 drakes came from another BYC person and they have grown up together and never fight over the girls. If I was to bring another drake in I dont know what would happen. I have a happy family and dont want to break that up

5. adorable

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    ..Does drakes fight like roosters do when they are not brought up together?This is what i really need to know.

6. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    Australia
    Depends on breed I think, but also on ratio. If only a few drakes with enough girls they'll be fine. They may have a few pecks but generally are ok. I know with muscovies its 1:4 I think..? But unsure on your breeds.
    How many drakes and girls do you have altogether?

7. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    All of my larger ducks are together, Khakis, runners and scovys (5 females to 3 males). They are not with my smaller ducks tho'.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  8. adorable

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    ok. Great. I think it will be ok. I will watching to make sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by