Can i put silkies in a wire bottom hutch

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by BlaineWillard, Aug 28, 2010.

1. BlaineWillard

BlaineWillard Chirping

Jul 26, 2010
    North Carolina
    i built a big hutch 8ft long x 4ft wide it is off the ground about 3 ft with a wire bottom in it. Is this a good place i could put my silkies in? Will they go broody in a hutch like this?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010

2. welasharon

welasharon Songster

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I am no expert but that just seems so uncomfortable for their feet!
    sharon

3. Chickadee93

Chickadee93 In the Brooder

Mar 1, 2009
    PA
    The wire bottom could be easily fixed if you put a strip of linoleum or wood over it. Such a big coop that you could use with a simple fix.

4. featherbaby

featherbaby Songster

Jun 18, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL 32210
    I think they would get their foot feathers caught in the wire and break them. Breaking a blood feather is not a good thing. If they got really tangled up, they could fall and break a toe/leg. I wouldn't do it. Put a thin sheet of plywood covered with a vinyl remnant or painted with glossy outdoor paint in the bottom. Problem solved.

5. Yes, you can. I use wire stilt pens that are covered with a tarp, to condition the silkies I am going to show. The wire is 1/4" hardware cloth and I havent had a problem with bumblefoot or their foot feathers breaking off. It keeps their foot feathers nice and clean. I also use the wire pens to break broodies. The air under their chest/stomach area helps to break them. That usually takes 7-12 days.

6. BlaineWillard

BlaineWillard Chirping

Jul 26, 2010
    North Carolina
    but do you think they will go broody in there? I built a nesting box on the end of it.

7. BlaineWillard

BlaineWillard Chirping

Jul 26, 2010
    North Carolina
    i also put hay over the wire inside the coop and used pine shavings in the nesting box. I only have 2 silkie hens in there right now i am looking for a rooster and a couple more hens. How many silkies do you think will fit in a 8ft long by 4ft wide coop?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by