Can I put the in the brood pen outside yet?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BrianT, Oct 31, 2011.

1. BrianT

BrianT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    North FL
    I have 6 chicks that are about 3 weeks old. They aall have there new wing feathers and are very lively. It is getting down to low 50s at night here in North Florida. I have a 250watt red heat bulb. Will that suffice for these little birds or do I need to wait a little longer? They are starting to fly the indoor brooder. My brood pen outside is 4x4x8 and I have a lamp for it for the bulb. Thanks in advance.

2. partsRheavy

partsRheavy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    I think your little munchkins are ready to be Outdoor Munchkins!!!!!

They'll enjoy the lamp but I understand they could drive ya crazy indoors!!!!

Time to go outside!!

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    They're ready. Just make sure their space is predator proof. They're easy prey at night.
    I had a 2 week old chick escape into the woods and spent the night out at 36 degrees a couple days ago.
    In the morning it returned in good condition.

4. silkymom1986

silkymom1986 The Silkie Villa

Sep 28, 2011
    Byhalia, MS
    I agree they are ready, I have 6 WS that turned 3 weeks yesterday, we are in MS where it's getting a little colder so I put them in a big cage I have inside an enclosed shed, and have the same kind of heat lamp you do and they are fine and happier to have more room to start spreading there wings, and me and hubs are much happier as well, lol. The room we had them in was right across from our bedroom so it was starting to drive us nuts, plus the stink even though I would clean the brooder everyday! [​IMG] And they are very protected from predators.

5. chaosfactory

chaosfactory Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2011
    Tallahassee
    I'm in N FL too and have some 3 week old babies....they are ready to go out but they are new so they are quarantined from my laying hen for another week!!! BUT if that wasn't an issue they'd be headed out this week with a lamp!!!!

6. NinnyGillaspie

NinnyGillaspie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    Huntsville, Tx
    Hi, my chicks are 3 weeks old today, and are making a mess!!! Already jumped out of their box, and now I have stolen the dog's large crate to keep them contained. The dogs are lost. I live in Texas, and our low temp in the AM is around 47 at this moment. The chicks are at 83 degrees in the bathroom. I'm planning on dropping it down 5 more today. They are feathered on the wings, and have little tufts on their butts. And getting LOUD. But, so cute.[​IMG]

7. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    I moved my 3 week olds outside today - I did leave the lamp on them at around 80F and will check later to make sure they are fine. I have other chicks already in the coop so I don't want to over heat those chicks. I have to balance the new chick's need for heat and the older chick's already being winter ready.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by