Can I put the nest boxes directly under the roosting polls on floor?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ragerkid2, Jun 21, 2011.

1. ragerkid2

ragerkid2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Johnstown Pa
    That basically sums it up.
    I would want to do this for two reasons. The ground level reason is because the Brahmas can not fly well and the roost needs to be higher than the nesting boxes. The second reason is I'm assuming the hens wont use the space under the roost anyways, (I know I wouldnt want to get hit with flying poo!
    I know I would have to have some sort of poop board above the nest boxes so they didn't get all messy.
    Thanks!
    ~Brandon

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  2. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    Quote:As long as you have a poop board that should be fine

3. ragerkid2

Apr 16, 2011
    Johnstown Pa
    Alright Thanks! Any other opinions anyone??

4. CarolynF

CarolynF Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    Puget Sound
    My Coop
    I don't know if this helps or not, but to avoid poo on top of my nest box I installed the perch from corner to corner across the coop. One section is still over the nest box, and of course someone chooses to sit there, but at least there's some free space. [​IMG] I think anything works if you're willing to work with it. Good Luck.

5. ragerkid2

Apr 16, 2011
    Johnstown Pa
    Thanks everyone! I think I'm going to go ahead and put the neat box's right under the roost. I'm only installing 4 nest box's because I only have ten pullets, but I do plan on getting more chickens!

6. Noymira

Noymira Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    I'm doing the same with my coop! I'm having my 10' roost along one wall, and the nesting boxes are going to be right under that in the middle of the wall, with a dropping board above.

7. ChrisG

ChrisG Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2011
    Why does the roost need to be higher than the nest boxes?

8. ragerkid2

Apr 16, 2011
    Johnstown Pa
    Quote:chickens feel safer the higher they are. If you roost is only one foot and the nesting box's are 4 foot, they will sleep in the nest box. Which then you get poopy eggs which is just ummmm... Unpleasing

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by