can i put the new hens with the older hens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by adorable, Sep 11, 2009.

1. adorable

adorable Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    I already have 6 laying hens. They are about 30 weeks or so. I am getting 4 more new ones.That are about 20 weeks. Can i put them with the hens that i already have?

2. DIMBY

DIMBY Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Western Colorado
    I kept my new ones separate for about two weeks, both for quaranteeing and so that they could get used to each other's scent and such (runs are adjacent to each other and I have two hen houses). After I was sure they new ones were healthy (except for my problem hen, Rose, still not too sure about her...another story), I let them free range together. Just a few feathers ruffled, a bit of posturing...and that was it, all is well.

3. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

It depends on their temperament, possibly, but don't forget to keep them isolated for a while to find out if the new ones have any diseases, worms or lice, mites, etc etc. 30 days is usually considered the minimum! Not doing this is pretty risky. you're risking one group or the other or if they each have something, you could have a real mess on your hands otherwise.

When you are ready to introduce them, do so very cautiously, cause older established hens can be merciless in picking on younger birds, to the point of serious injury, lost eyes, serious bloody wounds etc.

The good thing is that at 20 weeks, they're probably the same general size, and they'll have each other to support. They'll probably face off in two groups and act tough ... if you can divide a little space for them to be out of reach, but get used to each other that might help. also, some say to slip the noobs in at night when they're roosting, but I've never had much luck with that.

4. adorable

adorable Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    Thanks for the replies.

5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:I tried teh "slipping in" last night in my quarantine coop-they were all about the same size so well see?? Ill let you know how it went. So far the two that were in there came out this am but the two new ones are still inside coop-probably amazed at hpw much more room they have now compared to what they were used too:)

6. CrazyChickMom

CrazyChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    U.P. of Michigan
    What if I'm adding older hens to my hens? I hope to pick up 5 more laying hens on Friday they are aprox. 24 weeks old. My hens and roosters are only 14 weeks old. I don't have a separate area for them and since I know the person I am buying them from I trust that they are healthy.

Also, will they follow the established birds "home" when it starts to get dark?

7. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:I tried teh "slipping in" last night in my quarantine coop-they were all about the same size so well see?? Ill let you know how it went. So far the two that were in there came out this am but the two new ones are still inside coop-probably amazed at hpw much more room they have now compared to what they were used too:)

all went fine with my ladies. The 2 new ones would nt go into the run the next day but stayed on the roosts. The next day they were out eating with the other 2-and now 4 days later they get along fine no fighting nothing-but they are also the same size at this point so I think that helped:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by