Can I put them in the coop at two weeks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Stormy, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Stormy

Stormy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2008
    South Carolina
    They are growing fast. I have 27 chicks. They will outgrow the brooder box in aprox. one week (when they will be two weeks old).

[​IMG]

Plans are to put them in a very large plastic pool, and move the brooder light over a portion of that (to continue to maintain temp of 90 for that second week). The large plastic pool is too big to keep here in the kitchen, and I thought this morning, why not put the pool out in the coop? The coop is preditor-proof....It is within 50 feet of my back door.

If I did put them out there in a plastic pool inside the coop, I wouldn't need to put a lid over the pool-or even hardware cloth, as the coop is shut and preditor proof.

Am I missing something here, is there a reason I shouldn't do this?

2. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Yes you can do that! Thats what we did with our second batch! Hubby said no more chickens in the house. I kept the first ones in the house for 6 weeks!! The dust from their shavings fried our computer and printer:(. I was in a little trouble!! Anyway... That will work fine. Your main issues are temp, drafts and predators. It sounds like you have that handled. Good luck.[​IMG]

3. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    not clear to me if you have other chooks in the coop?

4. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    It would work fine AS LONG AS you don't have any grown/older chickens in there arlready.

If so, you'll need to put up a barrier between the babies and the older ones so they don't get attacked.

5. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    We put ours out in the coop at 2 weeks with the older kids. The babies were in a rabbit cage so everyone could see everyone else but couldn't hurt each other. We just let them be together without the cage 2 nights ago and everyone is fine. (They are about 4 1/2 weeks old now) The 13 week old rooster will only peck one if it wanders off and starts peeping really loud. I feel he is telling it to "shut up" [​IMG]

6. Stormy

Stormy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2008
    South Carolina
    No, I have no other chickens in the coop.

7. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Then you should be fine! Let me know how they do. I didn't sleep the first 2 or 3 nights!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by