Can I put these chicks outside yet?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by The Monkey Mama, Nov 9, 2008.

1. The Monkey Mama

The Monkey Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2008
    Kennesaw, GA
    I have 10 almost three week old chicks and 5 almost two week old chicks, all partially feathered out.

Can I put them in a brooder box outside? I have a heat lamp that keeps it about 95-100 degrees in the brooder box inside the house, but I don't know if it is good enough for outside in winter - it is getting about 30 degrees at night here now.

Would they be OK? Or should I keep them inside till they are fully feathered?

Kelly

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    You can put them outside in a brooder as long as they have a heat source and bedding to snuggle into. At the age of your chicks they are yet just mere babies and still need lots of TLC. If they get too chilled they can and will get sick and die.

FYI - most chickens take 8 - 10 weeks to feather out. Your small chicks may look feathered but they aren't. Large fowl can take 12 weeks to feather out.

3. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    If you can stand another week or so inside it wouldnt hurt, but people do put them out early. Depends how sure you are that you can keep them really, really warm. Does their brooder have solid sides? Drafts are an even worse prob than low temps per se.

4. The Monkey Mama

The Monkey Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2008
    Kennesaw, GA
    I don't mind waiting another week. I have another batch of eggs due to pip this week, so I was trying to figure if I should do another brooder box inside, or move the current chicks outside and just use the same inside brooder box.

The outside brooder box is a wooden plywood box, 4ft by 6 ft. It is pretty draft free, but is kind of big.

My summer hatchlings did fine outside with the same heat lamp, but with it being colder at night now, I wasn't sure if it was safe to put them out yet.

I think I'll keep them in another week or two just to be safe - I definitely don't want to take any chances with them, they are too precious! [​IMG]

Thank you for your advice!

Kelly

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by