Can I raise baby chicks and baby ducks together??

SantaPaula805

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 12, 2012
Santa Paula, Ca
Alright, so i have been raising chickens for the past three years in my backyard. so far ive really enjoyed it and am planning to do so far many years to come. so now im planning to get a baby duck. ive done a little research and something came to my attention right away. i read that you should never ever feed a duck medicated starter feed for baby chicks. Is this true?? And if so can they eat unmedicated starter feed for baby chicks. Has anyone here raised baby ducks and chicks?? What other problems may i have? And is there something important i should know about ducks before purchesing one? Oh and btw I am getting a white crested pekin from a local breeder.

Alright, so i have been raising chickens for the past three years in my backyard. so far ive really enjoyed it and am planning to do so far many years to come. so now im planning to get a baby duck. ive done a little research and something came to my attention right away. i read that you should never ever feed a duck medicated starter feed for baby chicks.

Is this true??

Yes....and no. In earlier times a compound in medicated feed was deadly to waterfowl. In most current feeds this compound is no longer a issue. However, many refuse to take a chance and choose not to feed medicated

And if so can they eat unmedicated starter feed for baby chicks.

Has anyone here raised baby ducks and chicks??

I've never raised chickens but many have brooded with chicks

What other problems may i have?

Ducks are going to need more Niacin than Chicks. You will need to supplement that. Also Ducks are MESSY. You will have to be prepared for that.
And is there something important i should know about ducks before purchesing one? Oh and btw I am getting a white crested pekin from a local breeder.

Back
Top Bottom