1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can I raise chicks/ chicken indoors?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by shiichanxx, Dec 20, 2008.

1. shiichanxx

shiichanxx New Egg

Dec 20, 2008
    My friend is planning to buy some chicks, however, she's worried about how they'll be since its so cold. So I was wondering if they could live indoors? If they could, how much would it cost monthly? [​IMG] She's planning to get Japanese Bantams by the way.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
  2. amyquilt

amyquilt Serama Mama

May 17, 2008
    Amarillo, TX
  3. Bock_Bock

Bock_Bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    right now i have mine living indoors there is no problem, i got two for the time being living in a 20 gallon tank, and yes they have room and all i have hooked up is like a 5o or 75 watt heat light, thats all and they are doing fine. with it just as long as they got enough space how big and how many you got? Also the price depends on alot if you just have 1 light or if you have multiple, what kind of light, what kind of heat source, the feed you feed them, the bedding you have for them or what you keep them in, so it all comes down to how much you want to pamper your little friends, but just answer those questions of how many and the kind of set up your looking at for them

4. snowydiamonds

snowydiamonds Chillin' With My Peeps

They are dusty little things because of their feather shafts as with any type of house bird. You'll have shavings and dust to clean at least weekly but the reward is worth it.

I put my silkie chicks out in a heated coop near the main door of our house twice now but brought them back inside because I miss their chirp, whistles and "crowing" which I think sounds a lot like a falcon from two of them, the third just started today and it sounds more like a mangled crow than the other two -they are such fun!

5. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    well I have 5 out in the coop/run now. But if the city wontlet me keep my pets they will all be indoor birds.

6. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    Quote:[​IMG]

Chickens should not be kept as indoor pets, IMO. If, because of city ordinances, you can't keep them outdoors, you shouldn't keep them at all. If you or a family member has allergies the dust they produce will make you sick. Their poo also smells terrible and they need space to roam and move around in.

If you can keep them outdoors, just keep them in a brooder until they are mostly feathered and then transfer them out to a completly inclosed coop with a heat light. They should be fine. Most hatcheries won't ship until spring anyway, so there aren't that many reputable places to get the chicks right now. Just wait until spring and until you have the pen and coop all set up and predator proof.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
  7. Ladyhawke1

Ladyhawke1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Chickens should not be kept as indoor pets, IMO. If, because of city ordinances, you can't keep them outdoors, you shouldn't keep them at all. If you or a family member has allergies the dust they produce will make you sick. Their poo also smells terrible and they need space to roam and move around in.

If you can keep them outdoors, just keep them in a brooder until they are mostly feathered and then transfer them out to a completly inclosed coop with a heat light. They should be fine. Most hatcheries won't ship until spring anyway, so there aren't that many reputable places to get the chicks right now. Just wait until spring and until you have the pen and coop all set up and predator proof.

For every NAY there is a YEA! [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

8. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY

For every NAY there is a YEA! [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

Yess, there is. I don't want to be rude about it though, but the message may have come off that way. I just think that if there is no regulation against them, why not keep them outside like they are meant to be? And if there is a regulation, usually its for a reason, so find out why they don't want you to do it before you just go ahead with it. Keeping chickens outside is a 24/7 job, can you imagine all the things required inside? People just need to be sure they are up for it before they get chickens. Usually they don't think about the cute little fuzzy butts growing into big pain in the butts and that's why so many are mistreated and dumped.

9. Ladyhawke1

Ladyhawke1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:For every NAY there is a YEA! [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

Yess, there is. I don't want to be rude about it though, but the message may have come off that way. I just think that if there is no regulation against them, why not keep them outside like they are meant to be? And if there is a regulation, usually its for a reason, so find out why they don't want you to do it before you just go ahead with it. Keeping chickens outside is a 24/7 job, can you imagine all the things required inside? People just need to be sure they are up for it before they get chickens. Usually they don't think about the cute little fuzzy butts growing into big pain in the butts and that's why so many are mistreated and dumped.

Some of us know how to keep PETS indoors. [​IMG]

10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG] You can keep them inside if you're prepared. Depending on how many and how big your brooder is, feed, water and an adaquate heat sourcs. They do poop alot. Especially when they are roosting. Will they be able to go outside in the yard when they are big enough? Maybe a chicken tractor? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by