can I raise chicks ouside

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jk47, Aug 16, 2014.

1. jk47

jk47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2013
    CA
    If I keep them in a brooder with a heat lamp can I raise them in the chicken house I live in CA so I have really mild winter

2. ericmcginn5

ericmcginn5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2013
    if you can keep them away from predators and at the correct temp 95 degrees the first week i think it would be fine

3. RJSorensen

RJSorensen Chicken George

Please just remember that chicks should not be exposed to any draft. If you can do this, then with heat provided it could be done if you wish to do so. As noted above you would need to ensure that 'varmints' don't get into them… but you most likely are aware of this. When the chicks are small, they don't have the ability to self regulate their body temp and need you to provide the equivalent heat source of a mother hen. Under the hen there is no draft… to speak of.

Best to you and your birds,

RJ

4. birdman55

birdman55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2014
    michigan
    My Coop
    as with what everyone said, no draft, you can get a temp monitor to monitor you max mins for about ten bucks, and a dimmer switch for your light and just monitor the temps and tune it down when you need to decrease every week....California is warm I wouldn't worry to much....hope all goes well....or you can get a temp controller for like ten bucks on ebay and wire it in and just change the settings every week and that will keep it perfect....enjoy the birds....I keep buying more and more birds...so have fun with it and most importantly enjoy the birds....

5. sunshinehs

sunshinehs Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2014
    My silkie hens eggs are about ready to hatch? Do I need to do anything special after they arrive? Should I separate them and their mom, from the others? Any help Thano you :)

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    In your climate, your birds will be fine in a sheltered coop from the start. Keep them out of the wind or the wet, and they'll be good to go. You may be able to cut out the heat lamp during the day after a week or two, also.

7. ericmcginn5

ericmcginn5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2013
    make shere to use wire if there outside no bigger than 1/4 inch or snakes may get in and have a snack i have had this happen not fun at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by