Can I raise just ONE chick?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dizzle's chicks, Jul 8, 2011.

1. dizzle's chicks

dizzle's chicks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2011
    I will have to send my BR rooster(?) back to the farm but I would like another BR. The farm currently only have day old chicks available so I was thinking can I just raise one by it self and when it gets big enough I can put them together. My other chicks are 3 at 5 weeks and 2 at 4 weeks old.

2. roxyblue

roxyblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    pittsburgh, PA
    Get a chick and start raising it on it's own. if it gets lonley mix it in with the YOUNGEST chicks you have i did this with one of my chicks and it worcked out great.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    You may be able to put them all together now. I've read here a number of times that it's fine to mix ages for the first 4 weeks. Worth a try.

4. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Quote:What she said!!

5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    I have mixed chicks MANY times. I hatch non stop for 4-5 months straight. I have a few huge grow out pens. With each hatch I raise the chicks in the house for up to two weeks then add them to the grow out pen. When I have 4 groups ( 3-4 weeks apart) going and I go to add the 4th hatch group the very first group goes out to free range as they are 12 weeks old and old enough to be outside in the BIG BARN! I have never had an issue except once. I added the chicks to the pen and didn't have time to let out the older ones until the next day. The little ones stayed in the corner scared to death and wouldnt eat and drink until I removed the big ones!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by