Can I raise my new peacock with chicks? Food Question?

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by ericay, May 10, 2011.

1. ericay

ericay Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2011
    austin
    I just hatched my first peacock this morning. Only one of the two peacock eggs made it so I will only have one peacock for at least a few weeks. I have 7 chickens that hatched earlier this week. Can I keep the baby peacock with the chicks? It seems like there are several different schools of thought on this. I want the chickens and the peacock to be safe and happy. In my experience, I've found that baby birds like to be with other baby birds, so I'm leaning towards keeping them together. Please share your thoughts on this topic.

Also, I generally start my chicks on medicated chick starter. Is this ok for the peacock too? I feed my geese and ducks non medicated starter so I have both kinds, but I'm not sure which one is best for a baby peacock.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

delete

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  3. texascowboy1979

texascowboy1979 Chillin' With My Peeps

Ive noticed that when you raise pea chicks with chicken chicks, they learn to eat and drink water sooner. Its safer than risking them starving. Then I separate them as they get older. Ive got 3 babies now... 2 pied and 1 Black Shoulder Split to Charcoal.

4. jimmythechicken

jimmythechicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2010
    mansfield
    last year we were raising just 1 peachick he was always peeping an very lonly so we put our pollish chick in with him they became best friends untill we had to seperate them when they were older.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by