Can i raise one chick

Amy F

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 12, 2014
Santa Cruz, California
Im home schooled and don't have much to do during the day and was wondering if I could raise a chick from the day she hatches. I want her to be attached to me.
love.gif
Like a pet. I only want to own 1. For the first 4 weeks she will stay in the house mostly my room She will wear a chicken diaper i made for chicks. I'm great at sewing ill make a bigger one as needed. at night she will sleep in a large rabbit cage in my room with the diaper off. during the day she will wear the diaper around the house. In the corner of my room i will keep a heat lamp hanging over a small dog bed. I'll allways have her next to me never leaving her unsupervised. being that she will get attached to me i will let her in the house during the day when she gets older and leave the back door open so she can go in to the yard. she will get monthly baths, be very spoiled, go with me places with her harness tags and leash on such as the pet store, feed store farmers market flea market car rides. She will even have a purse carrier just for her. and i will allways bring food and water for her in the car using special cup holder bowles made for dogs
smile.png

Would you like your chick to survive or to thrive? The former is certainly possible with your plan, the latter - well, not so much (imo). My goal when I take on the responsibility of an animal is to provide for that animal what he/she needs first and foremost and consider what I get out of the deal as an afterthought.....

Ah, almost every chicken lover has had the fantasy of having one chicken to have a bond with. :D Even I have. It sounds like a nice idea, but just so you know, when you're not around they will be lonely. I actually once had a lone Silkie pullet for a few months, when ever I went out of sight or wasn't near she would emit a loud bawking chorus until I returned. But, when she got older she became more independent. She loved the walk around the sunny spots of my house to sunbath, and I would have to say, I did have a very close relationship with her during this time. I never used a chicken diaper though, so it got a bit messy. I even made her a few chicken diapers (both failures) and a vest (this one worked!), although when I attached my leash on she freaked out and ran away from me. :lol: Singleton chickens will indeed get attached to you if you handle them often, but will be demanding in human companionship.

It wouldn't hurt raising two or more than one chicken, because sometimes when you aren't home lone chicks or chickens can die from loneliness. You can also form pretty close relationships with chickens in a flock too, I have a sweet little Andalusian pullet that loves being stroked on the neck and body. She also has a habit of hopping on to any available leg or shoulder. ;) But it might not be as personal as a single chick. Truly it's your decision, a single chick will work out if you have the time and responsibility for it.:D

You could, but that is not a good lifestyle for a chicken. Chickens like to be in big groups of other chickens. She would get attached to you, but she would not be nearly as happy as if she had you AND other chickens.
Chickens also like routine and familiar surroundings. Touting one around too much would be stressful.
What's stopping you from getting multiple birds? They really aren't any more difficult to care for, and both they and you will be happier. I have kept a single chicken before and I would never do it again.

I thought about what you guys said and i will get two and raise them the same way i said i would raise the one chick but i was wondering what breed you guy think would be best i had a easter egger two years ago just one chick she loved going to the park i made a harness took her every were when i wasnt home spend time with my dad because he is always home he has crones disease makeing in hard to go places so my chick was never alone for her but my mom made me give her to a friend because we were living in a apartment so now she lives free range on a ranch with other chickens and sleeps in the house at night but it was the sadess thing when i left she she made a loud cluck sound and tried to chase after me my friend had to put her in a cage until i was completely out of view
hit.gif
.THIS IS WUT SHE LOOK LIKE

[COLOR=FF00CC]I thought about what you guys said and i will get two and raise them the same way i said i would raise the one chick but i was wondering what breed you guy think would be best i had a easter egger two years ago just one chick she loved going to the park i made a harness took her every were when i wasnt home spend time with my dad because he is always home he has crones disease makeing in hard to go places so my chick was never alone for her but my mom made me give her to a friend because we were living in a apartment so now she lives free range on a ranch with other chickens and sleeps in the house at night but it was the sadess thing when i left she she made a loud cluck sound and tried to chase after me my friend had to put her in a cage until i was completely out of view:hit .THIS IS WUT SHE LOOK LIKE[/COLOR]
Sorry that you had to give away your Easter Egger. :( Any breed would be fine, I suggest Silkies. And I think it's best to stay away from Leghorns, I have two that were very sweet as chicks, now they are mean and bite me whenever possible.

A silkie would be a good choice. Research some breeds and see what catches your eye. It's mostly up to personal preference.

Back
Top Bottom