Can I raise Satyr Tragopan or himalayan monal in Los Angeles?

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by DiKuang, Mar 11, 2014.

1. DiKuang

DiKuang Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2014
    Hi everyone,

I am living in Los Angele county. I am new to pheasant. So, I don't know many thing about the pheasants. However, I am interested to raise the Satyr Tragopan or Himalayan Monal because they look very beautiful. I try to search someone around my area who is the breeder. But, nothing shows up from the internet(maybe I didn't searched correctly). Most of the results shows the farm or seller are locate in the eastern area. Then, I think it maybe Satyr Tragopan or Himalayan Monal are not doing well with the heat in Los Angeles. That is why they are very hard to find in the southern California? Is this true? Can someone help me out clarify this for me? If they can still do well in Los Angeles, can anyone refer me a breeder that I can buy a pair with him or her. Thank you!

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

How much experience do you have raising poultry?

3. DiKuang

Mar 11, 2014
    I have been raised Canary, Finch, and Parrot for couple years, and I start to raise Ringneck Pheasant about 7 months ago. That is it.

4. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

I see. Wow! That is a lot of different bird friends. I was just curious to know if you knew how to care for exotic birds. Since they are a lot different than feeding chickens.

5. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Try Gary Guerrero in Auburn,Paul Kao in Northbridge,Bob Lamar in Phelan,Bill Morrison in Paradise,Joe Passantino in Sebastopol.
    In N.H.,Tony.

6. DiKuang

Mar 11, 2014
    Are Red face Parrot Finch and Tri-Color Parrot Finch count as exotic birds? Especially the Tri-Color Parrot Finch is around $200 for each(this is how much I paid for...).

7. DiKuang

Mar 11, 2014
    Thanks for helping me out for giving these name for me. But, how can I contact them? Is there any email or phone that I can reach them?

8. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    PM sent

9. JJRS

JJRS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    Passantino does not have tragopans or monals. I'm sure he knows somebody who does tho...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by