Can I re-introduce my rooster into the flock?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by CoulterMiniFarm, Jan 13, 2015.

1. CoulterMiniFarm

CoulterMiniFarm Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2014
    Crockett, VA
    Background - we have a small flock of 7 hens and two roosters that are all less than a year old. Our main rooster, Kung Pao, has been the dominant one from just about day one. Until recently, Moe and Kung Pao have gotten along famously. However, they have recently started getting into a few fights. They've been reasonably low key skirmishes for dominance in which Kung Pao has always won with Moe simply walking off without injury to either bird. However, Sunday night we came home to a very bloody Kung Pao squatting down in the corner of the run, with a victorious and seemingly uninjured Moe enjoying a victory meal with the girls at the other end of the run. Kung Pao is fine and he is no longer bloody. All the blood seemed to come from a few wounds on his wattle. We know we have too many roosters and we are going to sell Kung Pao, but he's in a dog crate right now. Can we reintroduce him into the flock until we sell him, or should we keep him in the crate?

2. rainbowrooster

rainbowrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2011
    I would keep him separated to avoid a repeat because they will fight again. It will be easier to sell the rooster if he isn't a mess from fighting.

3. CoulterMiniFarm

CoulterMiniFarm Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2014
    Crockett, VA
    That's what I thought. Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by