Can I relocate quail and nest? Will still sit on eggs?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by crimsonmama, Jan 8, 2017.

1. crimsonmama

crimsonmama Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2017
    When I brought my quails indoors it was only supposed to be temporary and I didn't expect my female to go broody and sit on her eggs! I set their pen up in front of my backdoor as it meant I only needed to cordon off one side. But I am thinking of relocating the pen upstairs. Firstly because it's alot warmer day and night which will be better for chicks when they hatch and secondly I currently have no access to my back yard! If I did I could put the male back outside in the aviary as I had to separate him from the female and he's not very happy in a indoor bird cage!
    But if I move the nest box will she still sit on the eggs?? Or should I wait until they are chicks? This is her first time brooding eggs!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  2. CoopintheWoods

CoopintheWoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2016
    It depends. If the nest is in a movable box, you may be able to pull it off. Maybe try moving it a bit each day?

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    It is hard to say. Some aren't bothered the move and some are. You are lucky if your quail do go broody, so slight changes can upset the entire cycle. They pick the spot they are happy in and feel their babies will thrive and if she is not happy with her new surroundings, she may abandon ship.

You might try a move in darkness. Move the entire thing all at once or move the nest first and then the bird. Since birds are not very alert at night and even if awakened, will settle back down pretty quick, when she wakes up in the morning with the entire thing moved, she may stay. It works in many cases for chickens. I have never moved a quail nest so I can't vouch for moving a broody quail.

How many more days til hatch? If you are over half way on the incubation cycle, I would let her hatch them and then move them. If she just started, you might give the move a try.

4. crimsonmama

Jan 2, 2017
    She's only afew days in to sitting. Her nest is in the movable box in my profile pic. Her new area is pretty much same looking but quieter and warmer area. I think I will try to move all at once when she is off the next taking a break. Any luck she probably won't notice much difference other than being picked up and put down.

5. DK newbie

DK newbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    I'm pretty certain my buttons would have none of that and they actually seem to have a very strong instinct and go broody very often. But I can't say I've tried and cots might be different. I certainly wouldn't risk it. After all, it's only 16 days. And a broody coturnix is very rare.

6. crimsonmama

Jan 2, 2017
    Phew! I moved her. It really was for the best as she's now in a much quieter warmer place. Was worried at first as she was dust bathing, drinking, eating, more dust bathing for what seemed ages! But then she sat back on her eggs and has settled for the night.

The male is now back outside in the aviary and also seems much happier!

I also have some quail eggs in an incubater (my first time!) And tonight I saw movement in some that I candled. The incubated chicks will be due next weekend and my females the weekend after. So at least if she does quit I can finish the eggs off!

7. Binki

Binki Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    How... Eggciting [​IMG]!!! Hope she continues to sit - may want to mark existing eggs as the females may try and lay in the nest and eventually there will be too many for her to cover and they will all be incubated at different times :p

8. crimsonmama

Jan 2, 2017
    I only have the one female. She is still sitting! She takes quite a few breaks! But not for longer than 30 mins max. She's so fat and cute sitting over her eggs! She's got ten in there now. Should I mark those ten and remove any others if she lays more?? Or just leave her to it? Earlier she was taking a break so I took one of her eggs. It was warm to the touch like my incubater eggs. I candled it and it was clear through except a cloudy patch - maybe the yolk or maybe early development - with the patterning on quail eggs I can't tell if there is veining. Anyways I put it back and she's sitting again. My daughter saw her positioning and turning the eggs under her too so I think she seems to know what she's doing! I haven't had her long and presume from the seller that she is young and this is her first batch but it's hard to say as maybe he wasn't truthful?? Maybe she's done this before? Although when I was sexing the pair of quails I got I saw foam on one and knew he was male and my females vent was very small so I didn't think she had laid eggs previously.

Many years ago I once had Chinese painted quails. Knew nothing special about raising them. I was in my teens. Well all the females laid eggs in one spot until there was like twenty eggs and one female sat on the top trying to cover them all which was impossible! Was very funny!.

9. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    That is great news!! Good luck and I hope she sticks to it and has a great hatch!! [​IMG]

10. Binki

Binki Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Hehe!! I think she will just keep accepting more eggs like your painted hen so it's probably better to mark them [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by