Can I remove a half hatched egg from hen......

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickendude, Jun 30, 2010.

1. chickendude

chickendude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    Can I remove a half hatched egg from my hen and put it in my brooder with the chick that hatched yesterday? Or should I let it fully come out of the shell? The problem is the broody hen killed the first 2 chicks and I was lucky enough to save the third chick and set it up in my brooder. See my post ( My broody hen killed her first two chicks. Why? Need help with wounded ) in this section of the forum. This half hatched egg is the last one to hatch and I really want this one to survive so the first living chick is not alone. I feel I should probably let it hatch completely then transfer it to my brooder. But I am worried the hen will kill this one just like she did the fist 2 chicks.

2. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    I took a egg from a nest that had pipped and the broody had abandoned the nest. I put it in a plastic tote (about 8x12) on top of a heating pad and a towel. I loosely put the lid on so it would breathe and added a warm wet washcloth for humidity. The baby finished hatching. I did not expect him to make it but he did. I waited until he fluffed up and was strong before giving him back to mom.

3. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    If she's already killed chicks, I'd take it out but be careful to watch it because moving it through dry air will most likely dry out the membranes. You definitely don't want the poor thing getting shrink wrapped in the shell. If this does happen, you will probably have to help it out.

4. chickendude

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    Wow this is a tough call to make. I have been checking on it about every 1/2 hour. To add to this dilemma I have to leave in 2 hours. I hope by checking every 1/2 hour I will catch it in time and transfer it to the brooder with the other chick. Another problem is today the air is very dry at only 45-50% relative humidity. So I don't want to dry the membrane up.

5. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Quote:You can remove the egg with a warm, wet washcloth or a few warm, wet paper towels to help prevent drying if you need to move the egg before you leave.

6. chickendude

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    Good news.. Yesterday before I left the chick was 99% out of the egg. The shell membrane was dried to its wing so I helped it and put it in the brooder with the other chick. Thanks for all the advice and concern. The two chicks are doing well. I will post pics tomorrow.

7. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Quote:Congratulations! I'm so glad it turned out well. [​IMG]

8. chickendude

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    Thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by