Can I remove a single egg from a broody hen that I plan on hatching eggs from?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Tazman99, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Tazman99

Tazman99 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2012
    So I have a hen that has laid three eggs, I want to hatch these three eggs under her but she has laid a fourth egg, can I remove this egg? Or will that send her into a berserk mode and lose the other eggs?

Also, what do I need to know and do for when the eggs hatch? Will they eat Layer food, or do they need oatmeal and honey or something? Do they need a heat lamp? Do I need to keep them fro the other more aggressive chickens and can I Let them outside? And one last question, how long into they can tolerate the montana cold that is coming soon?

2. thechooks22

thechooks22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2013
    Queensland, Australia
    You dont need a heat lamp if she is mothering them ...they will huddle under her to keep warm. They should be fed chick starter but you can feed them layer food if it is very fine .yes you can remove the egg ...she wont even notice. Probably a good idea to keep them away from the others as they can kill them ...but if the mum is raising them she willl attack anything that gets too close to her chicks
    Hope this helps
    Goodluck!

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    First off, if your hen is still laying eggs, she isn't broody and won't hatch chicks. My criteria for declaring a hen broody is if she spends two nights in a row on the nest. This is accompanied by fluffing out when approached, growling and pecking, leaving the nest only to eat/drink/poop/dust bathe/terrorize the other hens. Once a hen goes broody, she also quits laying eggs.

4. Tazman99

Nov 4, 2012
    She has spent three weeks on this single nest, I took her eggs from her the first two weeks and on the third week I had been gone for most of the week, my brother and grandmother though something was wrong with her because she wouldn't move, so they didn't take her eggs that week. I decided that the eggs were not edible and decided to try and hatch them.

The other two non-hatch eggs were removed this morning, I tried to candle the three eggs that I want to hatch and they were kind of dark, with a kind of mass, bout the size of two quarters on the biggest one. And the new eggs I candled were perfectly clear.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    So if she's that broody, another hen is adding eggs to the nest. I always mark the eggs I intend to hatch so I can remove any additional deposits by the other hens.

6. Jenny77

Jenny77 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2013
    I have two broody silkies and they will steal another hen's egg is she lays it close enough and leaves. They nest on the floor of their coop (silkie shack). They are horrible protective and will rarely leave the nest. I've watched one hen get up to go eat and another will replace her on the nest till she gets back. I haven't done anything special with the chicks they've hatched. The eat regular crumbles and go forage with the other silkies in their fenced area. My roo even looks after them when they're out and about. Good luck with your hopefully soon to be new arrivals :)

7. Tazman99

Nov 4, 2012
    Oh yeah, my broody hen left the nest once to eat and the Buff orpington tried to take over the nest. She was smart enough to back off when momma came over.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by