Can I remove newly hatched chicks from broody hen?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Aqua Huntress, Oct 9, 2016.

1. Aqua Huntress

Aqua Huntress New Egg

Oct 9, 2016
    Hello wonderful chicken people!

This is my first time hatching chicks and I am pretty clueless.

I have two broody hens that started setting on eggs 5 days apart in the same coop. One hen hatched two beautiful baby chicks and had another in mid hatch when the other broody hen tried to take over her nest and killed the mid hatched chick and one hatched chick. So I separated them and the naughty hen went right back to her eggs. The other hen that had the one remaining chick decided she was done and left her nest abandoning the rest of her eggs. So I float tested the 4 eggs she left behind and they are rocking and rolling! I presented the live eggs to the broody still setting and she put them right under her.

Now my question is.......If the first hens eggs hatch under the second hen 4 or 5 days before the the other eggs won't the broody abandon her eggs to care for the chicks?

Can I take the newly hatched chicks and put them with the first hen and her chick so that the other broody with stay on her eggs?

I hope this isn't too confusing. Thank you for any advise.

2. rebrascora

rebrascora Overrun With Chickens

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    If you do it after dark on the first day of hatch, she should stay put and the chicks will have all night to bond with the other broody, but you will need to monitor for a while to see how the broody reacts to them. There are no certainties with animals, so you can only try it and see and put them back with the hatch broody if she won't take them and arrange to borrow an incubator for the last few eggs if the second broody abandons her eggs and they are still viable.

Good luck with them.

3. Aqua Huntress

Aqua Huntress New Egg

Oct 9, 2016
    Thank you.

4. Aqua Huntress

Aqua Huntress New Egg

Oct 9, 2016
    I took your advise! One of the chicks hatched today and after it got dark I was able to take the chick from the very aggressive broody hen and give it to the other mommy and baby. They were very inquisitive and confused about the new chick but the hen let it right under her with the other. It was precious! Thanks again for the advise.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by