Can i remove the nesting box?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bantam_n00b, May 21, 2010.

1. bantam_n00b

bantam_n00b Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2010
    I have this black australorp hen who just hatched some chicks today and a oeg bantam hen who hatched her eggs today as well, when or if can i move the nesting boxes out into a pen so the other chickens in the coop wont disturb them? Or would it be better to just leave them in the coop with the other chickens? The black australorp is in a 8x6 coop with three other hens and a roo, there are two hens who are broody. My oeg bantam hen is in another coop and its in a 4x6 with another hen and a roo. So what are your suggestions? Leave the hens in there or move them into a pen for right now? My oeg bantam hen is on a bench that i made where i put the nesting box on, its probably two or so feet high and i didnt know if it was safe for the chicks to actually get out of the nest onto the ground? Any help would be appreciated.

2. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    The safest thing to do is to let each hen and her chicks have a separate space of their own while the chicks are young. I would definitely not let too broodies share the same space, though.

Yes, you should move the OEGB down from the high nest. Her chicks won't be able to get back in there with her after they come down.

p.s. Move, but don't remove the nesting box. The hen will take her chicks back there at night to sleep.

Last edited: May 21, 2010
  3. bantam_n00b

bantam_n00b Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2010
    When or if do i move the chicks out of the nestbox? because it seems like they cant get out of the box with the hen yet?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by