Can I remove to the hens, leaving a flock of only roosters?

Whimsical Farming Wife

In the Brooder
10 Years
Oct 21, 2009
I have 2 hen houses;
'Cedar House' currently has 6 laying mixed breeds with a Barred Rock rooster.
'Red House' currently has a approximately 20 mixed male and female Barred Rock crosses, as well as 3 Silkie hens (one of which is broody).
*I would like to move the hens from 'Red House' over to 'Cedar House' since they should be laying anytime now, and 'Cedar House' is set up with better laying boxes, etc. This will leave my 3 female Silkies alone with all the young (app. 3 mos old) roosters.
Any thoughts? A side note; one of these young roosters killed my Silkie rooster for top pecking order just this week.
(I hope this isn't too confusing:/)

If what you are saying is that 3 Silkie girls would be in a pen with 2(or more) roosters, I would strongly advise against that. That would be a battle royal, in my opinion, with roosters fighting over the affections of 3 hens.
They would all also be worrying your little Silkie hens to death trying to breed them.
Others may disagree, but there is no way I would subject the 3 Silkie girls to this.
Good luck!

Bad idea. Those 3 girls, broody or not, will become the sexual target of every single rooster in the bunch. And they probably will not survive. Either leave things as they are or make an all boy coop and an all girl coop.

Seriously?

Given that one of your roosters KILLED a silkie roo just this week, why would you even consider leaving three small silkie hens in with a pen of roosters?

Please, do not leave the silkie hens in with a group of roosters. They will be killed. Move all of your hens into the "Cedar House."

maybe i just have wimpy roosters (very likely, little tiny OEGB's) but i'v had 3 roosters in with one hen in one of my pens for a month now with zero fights and zero damage to the hen. they have occasional chicken disagreements and mate the hen regularly, but the fights end before they start jumping and the hen still has all her feathers.
but your situation sounds different, i'm not sure if i would risk it, maybe try it out and watch them, literaly sit outside the coop in a lawn chair for an afternoon if you do try it.

Definitely move over all the hens, including the silkies into Cedar House. I second what everyone else said to why. It will save you all a lot of problems if you just separate all the boys and girls.

Back
Top Bottom