1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can I safely keep my young standard cock w/ my bantam pullets?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Robin'sBrood, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    My roo is a 19 week old Silver Laced Wyandotte and the banties are 18 week old Millie Fleur D'uccles (2 of them.) He isn't very big but he's probably twice their size.

I'm not worried about him with my Australorp pullet (they make a very pretty pair) but I worry about him hurting the little girls. Will he hurt them? [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2008
  2. Robin'sBrood

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Wow... nobody. Nevermind then.

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I wouldn't chance it. Young roos can be pretty rough.

4. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    My bantam roo is in with my standard hens and even HE does a number on them. He has 9 standard hens and he still wears feathers off em. I dont think i would want to put a bantam through the abuse.

5. Robin'sBrood

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Thank y'all. Sigh. While I was out in the run this morning he grabbed one of the Millies by the neck and tried to mount her and boy did she squawk. I shooed him off her. I thought I was going to be able to keep him because his crowing isn't very bad, but I can't have him hurting my little ones. [​IMG]

Does ANYONE near Raleigh, NC want a relatively small, very sweet SLW cockerel? He needs a good home, he's such a good boy. [​IMG]

Just look at that handsome boy (pic taken through thick glass.)

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by