Can I sanitize their run? If so. how?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by crazychick912, Jan 18, 2019.

1. crazychick912

crazychick912 In the Brooder

Jan 7, 2017
    Cumberland City TN
    My chickens have had the clear running poop with green in it. I've reviewed this on backyard chickens and started them on Corid V on Monday. It seems to be helping. The normally free range, however we've had a lot of ran and thus a lot of puddles, so I've kept them in the coop/run. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can sanitize the run or make is safer. It is of course dirt. I've given them plenty of fresh medicated water and of course feed. I'm concerned because of how wet the ground is when the scratch.

I've not ever had this before. I appreciate any help or suggestions.

Thanks

2. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

Apr 9, 2016
    California's Redwood Coast
    Hi, hope you are enjoying BYC! :frow

Try switching to deep litter instead of bare dirt... good organisms combat the bad ones that way and keep things in check. Bare dirt is breeding ground for bad stuff.

Since coccidia are in every chicken poop, I'm not sure sanitizing the run is is important. Seems like some people might use barn lime to help reduce coccidiosis issues on pasture.

Runny poop could simply be from ingesting too much fluid... coccidiosis is often indicated by going off feed or water, standing hunched up with eyes closed.

Is Corid V... standard Corid or another product? If it is standard... it works by mimicking thiamine to starve out and slow the growth while the chickens develop better resistance.

I live in the PNW... where we get lots of rain and puddles... my birds still free range. Keeping them locked in the coop/run would create more coccidia exposure (heavier stock load in smaller space) at my place then leaving them be... if my reason for lock down wasn't just to stop them from drinking non medicated water.

Apologies if this isn't helpful.

crazychick912 likes this.
  3. crazychick912

crazychick912 In the Brooder

Jan 7, 2017
    Cumberland City TN
    Wow thank you. I'm going to go let them range now and I will get the other items you suggested.
    I've never had any problems before...only preditors. I only have 1 chicken from my original flock. But I now have 15 new chickens and 2 roosters.

I couldn't take care of my chicks and roos without BYC.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: