Can I scatter their food on the ground?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kara_leigh, May 9, 2011.

1. kara_leigh

kara_leigh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Bradleyville, MO
    I have seven chicks, around 5 weeks old. They free range during the day next to my house. I still have a baby chick feeder for them (the long one with the holes in it) and I have tried setting it out for them but they won't eat from it unless they are in their coop. A couple times now I have taken their food and scattered it on the ground so they can peck for it when they want to, and they seem to like it that way and actually eat most of it. Is this okay to do? They eat a ton of bugs and some vegetation, so I don't expect them to eat a TON, but I'd like them to eat at least some of their grower food.

Also, we live in SW Missouri, and the soil here is very rocky. Do I still need to provide them grit? I have still been mixing it in with their food before I scatter it but I don't know if I necessarily have to. I do see them eating little rocks off of the ground and the patio. Either way, it doesn't matter, I just thought I'd ask b/c I'm new to this. Thanks!!

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  2. Chickencoop1996

Chickencoop1996 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    southern nh
    thats what i do when i free range and they pick it up fine and i would not providee grit unless all the rocks are to big and @ 5 weeks they will eat sand as grit

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by