Can I see your indoor/house chickens?

secuono

Crowing
13 Years
May 29, 2010
Virginia
I think I will soon have a house chicken. My sick hen may need boots forever and in that case, it's best she lives indoors. That also means I will find her a friend and have two chickens running a muck in the house!

So, I'd love to see pictures of your chickens meandering around the house!!

Not exactly running.............
IMG_5155.jpg

More chilling.

I have a rooster who is now an outdoor chicken, but he was my baby house rooster up until around 3 months of age, due to his stunted growth and the fact that he was an "only child" when he hatched. He had his own little brooder box that stayed in my bedroom, and he loved running around (literally!!) around on the bedroom floor. He also loved taking "dust baths" in the bed sheets and a few times I caught him scratching through the freshly-washed laundry!
lol.png
He also enjoyed going on car rides (he has probably traveled with me more than all of my other chickens combined...he's my 'traveling buddy'
tongue.png
) and he would follow me everywhere. Today, he's a full grown, happy rooster and lives outside with his three pullets, but he still follows me everywhere around the yard and loves coming inside the house once in a while.
wee.gif

I have hundreds of pictures of him when he was a youngster, so it would be too much work to out them all here.
lol.png
So here's the link to his thread that you can look at to see all of his pictures if you want.
smile.png

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=308311&p=1

I maybe cheated a bit in that mine (sitting on the velvet cushion) is only indoors part time. She was a solo hatchling from eggs sold to me as Naked Neck (Ever been taken for a mug?). Anyway, she spent the first part of her life totally indoors until I could gradually habituate her to outdoors.

So....now she comes in as soon as the door is opened ....I give her treats, let her have a rest on her 'throne' and then take her back outside (and clear up the poops from the tiled floor as soon as they are deposited).
She and another hen sleep with the dog, and another hen lays her eggs in the dog's bed.

So.......a truly dysfunctional lot.

Quote:
Was EXACTLY my thought! LOL

Well what I do is if it's in a small room, I lay down newspapers and paper towels to prevent any 'nasty surprises' from getting on the floor. Luckily, most of the house is hard wood floor (not carpet), so if it does happen, I just pick it up with a paper towel, through it away, and then clean the floor with floor cleaner.

One of my girls has been living in my kitchen for the last two weeks after she had crop surgery. I have tile floors and just pick up the chicken poop with paper towels then use floor cleaner. Not sure I would want to do this forever but it's fine for now. It's pretty funny having her in the house, actually. She follows me around the kitchen waiting for something to hit the floor.

Back
Top Bottom