1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can I separate a mom hen and older chick?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by filfilksq, Oct 8, 2016.

1. filfilksq

filfilksq Just Hatched

Apr 10, 2015
    Hi all, I live overseas in the desert, my chickens live in a large run that they share on occasion with several feral garden cats. The cats leave them alone, and will sometimes share in the kitchen scraps I put out.

One of my girls turned broody over the summer. I don't have any roosters, but I was able to get some fertilized eggs from a friend, and kept the brooder shut inside the chicken coop. One egg hatched Aug 31.. the hen attacked any hatchlings after the first, we were able to rescue one and kept him in a large bird cage in the chicken run.

It's been 5.5 weeks. The hen really wants out of the coop, but I'm afraid to let the chick out with her -- and the other chick in the cage -- because of the feral cats. Should I continue to keep the hen "cooped up"? ;). Or I could put the two chicks together in the coop and take the hen out?

This is my first experience with chicks.. thanks in advance for any advice..

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I've had a problem with my own barn cats preying on my chicks also. For my cats, seems like they quit going after them around 6-7 weeks. But, it's kind of a hard learning curve to see what your cats would be interested in---losing a chick is a hard way to tell, right?

I think I'd let the hen out and put the two chicks together for another few weeks, then let them out.

3. filfilksq

filfilksq Just Hatched

Apr 10, 2015
    Thanks, I'm ridiculously nervous about these chicks! [​IMG][​IMG]

Kate

4. Dmontgomery

Dmontgomery Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Apr 1, 2014
    Longville, La
    I'd agree with donrae. At 5 weeks they can kinda get away from other chickens trying to pick on them, but they are way to young to recognize and avoid a cat. I'd let them mature a little more together in isolation and let the mama out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by