1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can I separate boys from girls?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Cherib603, Jun 7, 2016.

1. Cherib603

Cherib603 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2016
    New Hampshire
    I was recently "surprised" with the gift of 4 ducklings, 2 boys and 2 girls. The boys are Pekin, the girls Crested Pekin.
    Since I really only have room for 2 ducks, and since my daughter will take 2, should we separate them as boy/girl pairs (neither of us wants any future babies), or is it ok to separate the boys from the girls?
    Will 2 of the same sex be ok together?
    Appreciate any advice you can give.

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

the girls would probably be ok i'm not sure how the male would without a female,

however pekin ducks aren't likely to go broody so you could keep them together as a male and female pair

3. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    I'd keep them in pairs. Just collect eggs daily and you won't have any babies.

4. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Agree with the advice you have been given. I would keep them in pairs. With pekins you won't have to worry about babies. They don't go broody or not long enough. First you can collect the eggs every day and you won't have babies. When we had them, we wanted ducklings but they NEVER hatched their own. At best they would sit on the nest for a few days then get up and leave. We finally put pekin eggs under our muscovies to get pekin ducklings. Today I would use my incubator, but broody, they're not.

5. Cherib603

Cherib603 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Great! Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by